Thursday, January 12, 2012

Two finishes framed

Yesterday I got two finishes framed. I am so very pleased with them.
 I think the frames do enhance both pieces. 

The first I had completed over 15 years ago and was in a drawer. It is my attempt of a Portuguese traditional embroidery called Castelo Branco.  



Castelo Branco is the name of a Portuguese town and this embroidery is typical from there. 
The main stitch gives the name of the embroidery and it is the one seen, for example, in the carnations, which are, by the way, one of its typical motifs. 
Castelo Branco embroidery is always stitched in shiny silk on linen, and it has a very specific set of motifs and stitches that can be used. It was used mainly in throws and as either the materials and handwork were quite expensive it used to be only available to the wealthier families whose daughters usually took one (throw) in their dowry, when they got married. 


If you want to have an idea of how the Castelo Branco embroidery is done, here in these 2 links you can see 2 ladies stitching.


My second framing is of  Deborah Cockin Ackworth Sampler by Needleprint. And this one was a pleasure to stitch, as I said in some earlier posts.


What do you think of them?

Have a wonderful day

17 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh wow! They're both gorgeous! Such different pieces too. So interesting about the embroidery!

dixiesamplar said...

STUNNING, Cristina!!! And yes, those frames are the perfect accessories for your lovely work.

Carol said...

Oh, I love them both, Cristina!! I love the colors in the Acworth Sampler...

valerie said...

They are both stunning! I am sure you are thrilled to have them gracing your walls.

Filando Rose e Cuori di Nadia said...

Very very nice, compliments for this works
Hugs Nadia

Mindi said...

Great framing, and I'm glad you rescued the Portuguese embroidery from a dark drawer.

Deborah said...

Beautiful, beautiful pieces! love the frames.

Gabi said...

That looks gorgeous. Great framing.

Tatkis said...

They are absolutely adorable! And so beautifully framed!

Hugs,
Tatyana

cucki said...

they looking so beautiful..lovely framing..
love cucki xxx

Ziggyeor said...

Beautiful Finishes! Thanks for following me.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Hi, just returning the following.
I love your work, they are so beautiful and so different to each other.
I really like your map too, looking forward to seeing that progress this year.

Melissa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Both your pieces are very pretty! I am most impressed with your Portuguese embroidery - stunning!

Anne said...

Wow! That Portuguese embroidery is gorgeous!! I love Mary Wigham and your framing is lovely!

Siobhán said...

Wow, they're both wonderful! Great frame choices!

Topcho said...

Both pieces are gorgeous and the frames you chose really make them pop up!

Karoline said...

They are both gorgeous, congratulations